Friday, June 5, 2009

Guatemala here I come!!

I received my call and I am going to the Guatemala Quetzaltenango (Ket-sal-ten-a-go) Mission (Just the name alone is a new language for me!!)!!!!  I report the the Provo MTC on Oct. 7th and leave 3 weeks later to head down to the Guatemala MTC!  I am ecstatic!!

Things I have learned so far about my mission...
-I get to go where there are more than 3 volcanos and there are also earthquakes because of the volcanos.  (Sweet!)  Oh yeah, they also have a rainy season from May to November because of the hurricanes in the area.
-They broke ground for the Quetzalteango Temple in March of 2009 and should be completed by 2011.  (I totally could be there!!)
-I have an opportunity to learn not only Spanish, but dialects of the local native people.
-Has Mayan temples!!!
-A nickname for Quetzaltenango is Xelaju (Shayla-Who), which I personally think is a lot easier to say than the actual name.
-Guatemala is considered among the 10 poorest countries in Latin America.
-My cousin informed me that I will be able to live on rice and beans for the duration of my mission.  YUM!!  :)

2 comments:

Semi Granola Mom said...

Congrats, woohoo!
~C

Stephanie said...

I am so excited for you!!!! You will be an awesome missionary!